A supernet is like an umbrella network that combines various small blockchains or networks into one large network. Supernets allow effective communication between district blockchain networks, in general improving the overall system as it allows data and asset transfers among various blockchains.
The networks can be interconnected by the resources and shared infrastructures, as a result boosting the effectiveness and lowering the costs. When the assets are accessible to various networks, it significantly improves the liquidity alongside raising the value of the asset.
In this article, we will have an overview of the supernet, how to implement it, its disadvantages and advantages, and how it is different from the subnet.
What Is Supernet?
A supernet, also called a metanet, is a mother network joining a lot of networks together to allow cross-communication and interoperability among various blockchain networks. The idea behind creating a supernet is to form a decentralized network that would allow various blockchain platforms to interact and communicate with one another. They would not require any centralized intermediary and create one unified ecosystem.
The speed and effectiveness of communications and transactions between different blockchains increase as a result. A supernet also facilitates and develops new decentralized apps and services that would combine different blockchain strengths. This has a probability of creating new opportunities for innovating and developing the blockchain industry.
How Does It Work?
Technologies and protocols like Atomic swaps, side chains, and other cross-chain communication protocols are used to implement a supernet. These technologies let various blockchains interact and communicate with each other and work like a bridge between various networks.
Atomic swaps are often called cross-chain trade which allows cryptocurrency trading without using any centralized intermediaries. This can be done by developing a smart contract on a blockchain that encrypts the traded assets, unlocks them when trading is complete, and then releases them to another blockchain. This allows transferring assets between blockchains without requiring any centralized exchange.
Cross-chain communication protocols like Polkadot and Cosmos are employed to enable interaction and communication among different blockchains. These protocols allow the exchange of assets and information among several blockchains and also take care of developing decentralized apps that would combine the advantages of different blockchains.
Sidechains are another technology that Supernet uses. A sidechain is an extra blockchain that connects to the original blockchain and allows moving the assets between the two. This allows for privacy and greater scalability along with that also allows experimenting with new consensus mechanisms and new technologies without actually affecting the original blockchain.
Advantages Of A Supernetting
The technique known as CIDR is used for creating a supernet address. It combines different network addresses together and has a number of advantages as well.
- Uses IP addresses efficiently – By supernetting, it is possible to make more efficient use of an IP address. It joins various networks into one single supernet. This can help in conserving the IP address and prevent depletion of an IP address.
- Improved Routing efficiency – Supernetting reduces the number of entries in a routing table. This, as a result, lowers the amount of processing power and memory required for route traffic and improves routing efficiency.
- Network management becomes easier – Supernetting makes network marketing easy as it reduces the number of networks requiring configuration and managing. This helps in simplifying the network administration as well as reduces the misconfigurations and the number of errors.
- Scalability – Superneting allows you to construct a network that you can contract and expand depending on the demands.
- Increased security – Supernetting lowers the number of networks and attack surfaces and improves security, as it makes it difficult for hackers to breach the network.
- Interoperability – It is one of the main features of the network. You can achieve it by using sidechains and cross-chaining atomic atomic swaps. This lets users trade and manage their digital assets through different blockchains in an efficient and seamless manner.
Disadvantages Of Supernetting
CIDR or supernetting has its advantages, but there are some drawbacks as well.
- Complexity – This technical could be really challenging and requires a solid knowledge of the network subnetting and IP addressing for performing. Along with that, it may require using special hardware and software to increase the network complexity and cost.
- Security risks – When not done properly, supernetting can come up with new security issues. It combines various networks, and forming one supernet can increase the possibility of attack and make network security more challenging.
- Compatibility issues – It can also create compatibility issues with some software or network device that does not support supernetting.
- Increased complexity – Superntting can make the path more risky for packets, which can cause an increase in the routing complexity. Poor performance of the network and an increase in latency can cause this.
- Lack of granularity – Sometimes supernetting can make it difficult to segment one network and make it small into more secured subnets. As a result, accessing a device or network resource can become more difficult.
- Limited scalability – Supernetting can also sometimes limit scalability, meaning it makes it more difficult to add new networks to the ones that are already existing.
Network identifiers can have any length in supernet. This allows an organization to customize the network size depending on the need. For example, for creating a total of 500 addresses, two class C blocks are supernetted approximately. The feature of root aggregation in supernetting can be applied for group routing the information for different networks or hosts in one summarised route.